Bicycling is an important and growing transportation option.
This plan aims to lay the groundwork for a safe, convenient and inter-connected network of routes and facilities that will encourage people of all ages and abilities to bicycle to their destinations throughout Duluth and Superior.
Open House to Review Proposed Duluth-Superior Bikeways System
Date & Time
4:00 pm - 7:00 pm
222 East Superior Street Duluth, MN
The MIC is putting together a long-term plan for for a system of safe, coordinated, on-street bike routes to support bicycling as a transportation option for people of all ages and abilities.
Bicyclists and other interested community members are invited to give input into the map of the proposed bikeway system. Stop by the open house anytime between 4 and 7 pm to learn more and share your thoughts.
The MIC has been working to develop a bicycle transportation network throughout the greater Duluth-Superior area since it released its bike route plan in 1994. Since then, a series of bicycling improvements have been undertaken, including:
● Installation of on-street wayfinding bike route signage
● Construction of a backbone linear multi-use path running the length of Duluth (including the extension of the Lakewalk to Brighton Beach to the East and the planning and construction of the Cross City Trail to the West)
● Bicycle parking improvements (including providing bicycle racks at all schools)
● Encouragement events (annual Bike to Work and Bike to School Days)
● Establishment of a formal bicycle count program to assist with the evaluation of the bikeway network
● A series of public engagement sessions to identify bike lane locations in the City of Duluth
It is a large undertaking to move from simple wayfinding signage to a designated system that includes space on the street for bicycles, but efforts to improve the on-street network have kicked into gear.
This Plan will reflect the work that has been accomplished to date and will provide guidance for the implementation of a safe, interconnected bikeway system that encourages people of all ages and abilities to bicycle to their destinations.