You can follow our tracks to 1998.
The MIC’s plans and studies address multiple modes of transportation throughout the Duluth-Superior area. The archive lists all plans and studies released by the Metropolitan Interstate Council since 1998, grouped by type or mode. All plans can be viewed as pdf documents:
Plan Type / Transportation Mode:
Active Transportation (Bicycle and Pedestrian)
- 6th Avenue East Traffic Impact Study (2016) 2 MB
Results of a traffic modeling study for a proposed design concept for a section of 6th Avenue East in Duluth, MN.
- Connections 2040/Non-Motorized Transportation Chapter (2014) 2 MB
Recommendations from the Long Range Transportation Plan to improve the active transportation environment in the Twin Ports, making it easier and safer for people to get where they need to go by walking, bicycling and taking the bus.
- UMD-CSS Transportation Study (2009) 7 MB
Multimodal transportation assessment of the area adjacent to the campuses of University of MN-Duluth (UMD) and the College of St. Scholastica (CSS).
- Munger Trail to Lakewalk Connector Plan (2007) 6 MB
Predecessor plan for the alignment of the bike-ped trail system in Duluth, MN that later became known as the Cross City Trail.
- Safe Routes to School in Duluth (2006) 13 MB
Examines current conditions and recommends improvements to the bicycling and pedestrian conditions for six elementary schools in Duluth, MN.
- Safe Routes to School in Superior, WI (2005) 20 MB
Examines current conditions and recommends improvements to the bicycling and pedestrian conditions for six elementary schools in Superior, WI.
- Superior Sidewalk Inventory (1999) 4 MB
Complete mapping of the sidewalk system in the City of Superior, WI, along with condition ratings, for data to support the City Council in developing a comprehensive and equitable sidewalk program.
- DLH Air Passenger Service-Air Cargo Analysis (2013) 2 MB
Analyzing industry trends for passenger service and air cargo to leverage a key regional transportation asset.
- Duluth Airport Land Use Plan (2001) 2 MB
A regional plan that examines how development in the Cities of Duluth, Hermantown, and Rice Lake, as well as Canosia Township and St. Louis County will affect the Duluth International Airport.
- Movement of Freight Chapter (4) from Connections 2040 (2014) 3 MB
Overview of local freight rail operations (pp. 56-59) from the Long Range Transportation Plan.
- Northern MN-NE Wisconsin Regional Freight Plan (2009) 5 MB
- Examines the demand from freight transportation on the local and regional transportation infrastructure and identifies improvements to enhance freight mobility and accommodate economic growth within the region.
- Duluth-Superior Area Truck Route Study (2001) 3 MB
Identifies a truck route network that provides for the safe, effective, and efficient movement of goods and services within and through the Duluth-Superior area.
- Metropolitan Rail Study (1998) 7 MB
Overview of freight rail operations in the Twin Ports area.
- Connections 2040: Duluth-Superior Long Range Transportation Plan (2014) 25 MB
A ‘big picture’ look at the multimodal system for the next 25 years, and presents goals, strategies and policy guidance to get us there.
- 2040 LRTP Info Sheet – Priorities, Goals, Objectives (2013) 0.3 MB
Quick overview of the MIC’s Long Range Transportation Plan to address the changing conditions, ongoing challenges and emerging opportunities for transportation in our area; everything from road repair to alternative funding sources.
- Connections 2040 Web Page
View separate chapters and information about how the LRTP was developed.
Multimodal (Small Area/Corridor)
- Lincoln Park Multimodal Transportation Study – Chapters 1 – 8 (2016) 57 MB
A study of the publicly owned surface transportation system in the Lincoln Park neighborhood in Duluth, MN, to determine potential issues and opportunities for both motorized and non-motorized modes of transportation.
- Lincoln Park Multimodal Transportation Study – Recommendations (2016) 18 MB
This document presents the final recommendations and supporting documentation for the Lincoln Park Multimodal Transportation Study.
- Highway 23-Grand Avenue Corridor Study (2013) 39 MB
A corridor study of the segment of MN State Highway 23 between Becks Road and Interstate 35 in Duluth, MN, with a focus on improvements to all modes of transportation – motorized, bicycle, pedestrian and transit.
- Downtown Duluth Modal Connections Study (2009) 12 MB
Assessment of existing land use conditions and transportation infrastructure for sufficiently encouraging the movement of pedestrians, bicyclists, and public transit users between Downtown Duluth, the Canal Park entertainment district, the Duluth Entertainment Convention Center (DECC) and Bayfront Festival Park.
- MIC Title VI Compliance Plan (2015) 6 MB
Establishes a framework for the MIC’s compliance with Title VI and related statutes regarding nondiscrimination and environmental justice. The MIC first adopted this policy plan in 2013, with an update in 2015.
- MIC Public Involvement Plan (2013) 18 MB
MPOs like the MIC have a mandate to ensure that federally-funded transportation investments are coordinated among local jurisdictions and developed with citizen input, with a broad range of voices and views expressed.
- Duluth Urban Area Growth Impact Study (2004) 18 MB
A regional plan examining growth impacts to areas on the perimeter of the Duluth, MN urban area. Makes recommendations about the areas that are best suited for growth and about comprehensive infrastructure needs.
- Duluth-Superior Port Land Use Plan (2016) 4 MB
Update of the 2006 comprehensive port development plan for the waterfront lands that constitute the ‘working port’ of the City of Duluth, MN and City of Superior, WI.
- Duluth-Superior Cruise Ship Terminal Plan (2013) 10 MB
Options and budgetary considerations for the construction of a specialized facility to accommodate new security requirements for passenger cruise ships visiting the Duluth-Superior Port.
- Erie Pier Management Plan (2007) 1 MB
Outlines process and requirements to develop a successful dredged materials reuse program and to transition the Erie Pier facility from a Confined Disposal Facility (CDF) to a Processing and Reuse Facility (PRF).
- Duluth-Superior Port Land Use Plan (2006) 34 MB
A comprehensive port development plan for the waterfront lands that constitute the “working port” of the City of Duluth, MN and City of Superior, WI.
- Intersection Control Evaluation (Roundabout Study) Duluth Area (2013) 5 MB
This study evaluates various traffic control alternatives (stop signs, traffic signals, roundabouts, reduced conflict intersection, etc.) at eight problematic intersections in the Duluth area.
- TSM Assessment of MIC Area Roadways in MN (2007) 4 MB
This Transportation Systems Management study identifies potential locations of concern along Minnesota roadways within the MIC area, ranked according to their potential needs for capacity and/or safety improvements.
- TSM Assessment of MIC Area Roadways in WI (2007) 5 MB
This Transportation Systems Management study identifies potential locations of concern along Wisconsin roadways within the MIC area, ranked according to their potential needs for capacity and/or safety improvements.
- Duluth-Superior Tourism Transportation Plan (1999) 4 MB
Assesses the impacts of tourism on the area’s transportation system and recommends improvements to the system for both visitors and residents.
- Superior Comprehensive Transit Operations Analysis (2014) 8 MB
Assesses the existing conditions and trends related to transit service in Superior, WI, and provides a five-year implementation plan for service improvement.
- Douglas County Human Services Coordinated Transit Plan (2013) 1 MB
Assesses current transportation related services for elderly, disabled and low-income individuals in the region, and identifies gaps in service that might be improved with additional resources and enhanced coordination between existing services. Produced by NWRPC with assistance from the MIC.
- Northeast MN-Duluth Area Human Services Transportation Plan (2007) 12 MB
Assesses current transportation related services for elderly, disabled and low-income individuals in the region, and identifies gaps in service that might be improved with additional resources and enhanced coordination between existing services. Produced by ARDC with assistance from the MIC.